THE CABOT HEAD LIGHTHOUSE MUSEUM AND SITE IS CLOSED INDEFINITELY. PLEASE SEE "ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS" FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
Welcome to the Historic Cabot Head Lightstation established in 1896 to guide ships rounding Cabot Head on the often turbulent waters of Georgian Bay. Today the Cabot Head Lightstation is operated and maintained by the "Friends of Cabot Head" as a historical local landmark, including museum, interpretive plaques, trails, picnic area, small beach and a gift shop.
The Friends of Cabot Head, a not-for-profit organization, was formed by a group of concerned area citizens to take over the restoration, maintenance and management of Historic Cabot Head Lightstation. Agreements were made with the Canadian Coast Guard and then Lindsay Township and now the municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula, and in the period from 1994-1996, major renovation work was done on the Lighthouse using limited grant money and volunteer labour and expertise.
Several local businesses, Service Clubs, the Bruce County Museum, the Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula and local families contributed time, money and historical articles for the development of a museum in the Lighthouse building. As well, the Lighthouse Tower was rebuilt and now functions as an observation tower. The adjacent Lightkeeper’s Cottage is used as a staff cottage. The day to day activities will be done by a volunteer caretaker who runs the day to day activities of the Lighthouse as well as supervising the “Lightkeeper’s Locker” gift shop located in the same building.
As a totally volunteer organization, all the funds for restoration, maintenance, and management comes from visitor donations, membership dues, the Assistant Lighthouse Keepers Program and sales from the gift shop.
Cabot Head Lightstation is honoured to be one only a few Canadian Great Lakes Lighthouses to be rated a full 4-stars on the basis of their accessibility and their facilities for casual visitors, especially families.